Saturday, September 19, 2015

Facebook ‘Dislike’ Button

We are all familiar with the “like” button on Facebook. The like button was introduced in 2009 allowing users to show appreciation for another user’s status, photo, video or other content. I pass out likes on Facebook like they are candy. Oh what a cute dog! Like. What a great accomplishment! Like. You don’t feel good? Like. Even if I don’t actually like a status, I still like it just because it’s common practice for me.

CNN reports that one year ago, the creator of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg said, "Some people have asked for a dislike button because they want to be able to say 'that thing isn't good,' and we're not going to do that ... I don't think that's socially very valuable, or great for the community." Now, Zuckerberg admitted that "not every moment is good" and there is possibly a need for a dislike button.

Facebook officially introduced their plans of testing a “dislike” button. So far, there has been very mixed reviews. I have been waiting for a dislike button for so long but I can also see where problems could potentially arise. There have been so many times when I scroll past a post and I think to myself, “why would you ever post that on social media? What is wrong with you?”, and there lies the problem. The dislike button can easily be used as a way to promote negative thinking, bullying and inappropriate behavior.

Zuckerberg wants the dislike button to be able to display emotions of empathy instead of dislike, eliminating the potential for negativity, bullying and inappropriate behavior. Facebook's newest feature could either be highly successful or a disaster waiting to happen. Only time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. Allie I completely agree with your thoughts on the potential dislike button for Facebook. Many people have expressed their opinions about wanting a dislike button, but it will be interesting to see how the test of it goes and if it will actually take place. I agree with Mark Zuckerberg's concern that it could be used in a negative light and could potential be used for bullying or inappropriate behavior. I personally think a dislike button would be a good feature added to Facebook, but only if it's used in the correct way. It will be interesting to see if the dislike button actually happens, but for now we will just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, you totally took my post. I really thought we could be friends but I guess not. Just kidding, but anyways, I do agree with you about the potential negativity of the dislike button. But like any other controversy, there is always another side to it and I do see the light in how the dislike button could help clean up Facebook and the content we see. Thumbs up on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie,

    I feel like we were all on the same page at one point because I posted something similar as well! It's a very popular topic though and it affects all the users of Facebook, especially our generation. Like you said, there are time when you just want to say, "why in the world would someone post this!?" I totally feel you on that. But I think that many people believe this button would be a terrible idea and maybe that's why Mark had been reluctant to create it. In the article he talks about how he doesn't necessarily want it to be a dislike button, but expressing the fact that so and so doesn't agree with the post. Which I think is fine, but I think a dislike button would bring many hurt feelings. When I think about I wonder, what if I would post a photo of myself to put as my profile picture (all dolled up), and many people disliked it? I would feel so hurt, anyone would feel hurt. Let's just hope that Mark figures out a way to not use it in this sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie, I totally agree! There are several posts from people that make me cringe and I find myself thinking, "why would you ever post that?" But, I also agree with how much negativity could arise and we could potentially find ourselves viewing even more Facebook arguments. With the new reaction buttons today, I think it is a more positive way to express, rather than a simple dislike button. In all honesty, I do not think there will ever be a "dislike" button.

    ReplyDelete