Monday, October 5, 2015

A Night in Paris

This past weekend I went home to good ol’ West Jefferson, Ohio. I usually only go home for breaks and special occasions so this weekend I came home for my sister, Abbie. Abbie cheered at her first varsity football game and attended her first homecoming dance. This year's homecoming was Paris themed. I can’t believe she is already 14 and old enough to be a freshman in high school and attending homecoming.

On Friday, she got to cheer the Roughriders onto victory against Columbus Academy. It was a very strange feeling watching her cheer underneath the lights where I used to cheer. I remember cheering and looking into the crowd of people and seeing my mom and Abbie. Now, our roles are reversed. I’m not sure where time went, but one thing is for sure… I feel old! As students walked by, I didn’t recognize most of the people passing. Keep in mind, West Jeff’s graduating class is only about 100 people so not knowing who people are is very odd. 

After the game Friday, I got to talk to Abbie about what she expects from her first homecoming. Of course, she was being her usual, dramatic self and compared it to her wedding day. She told me she had been looking forward to this day for as long as she could remember… LOL.

Saturday was full of running around. Nails, hair, makeup, tanning, the whole nine yards! My mom stayed relatively calm on Saturday. She must have gotten plenty of experience from putting up with my attitude for four years. I’m glad one of us could keep our cool because after dealing with my sister's attitude, I officially never want kids.

As stressful as dealing with my sister was, looking at her on Saturday I couldn’t be more proud of the person she is becoming. I know it’s cliché, but it’s true. She has turned into a beautiful young adult with goals and ambitions. I can’t wait to see how she continues to grow and transform in the next four years.

2 comments:

  1. Allie -
    I can't believe that your sister is only 14, she definitely looks older. I understand how you felt when you say the roles between you and your sister are reversed as that is how I felt last year when I would go home to watch my brother play in his various sporting events. Also, having a younger sister who is 13, I completely understand that time goes by way to fast, as I can't believe my sister will be a freshmen next year. I feel like I will have very similar experiences this weekend, as you had last weekend, as it is my high schools homecoming and just thinking about being there is already making me feel old. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to go home and see your sister as I am sure it was not only special for you, but for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie,

    Your sister looks just like you. I remember when Homecoming was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Anyways, it seems like you and your sister are close and thats a good thing to have. The fact that you took your own time to go home and see her have a night for herself is really something special. Like you said, girls at that age and around that event can be a little chaotic and hectic, but I am sure having you there was a huge help for not only her, but your mom. Great post Allie! By the way, didn't see you as a cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete