Wednesday, October 14, 2015

PRSSA Podcast

I’m trying something new here, so stick with me. For this assignment, we were instructed to create a podcast about a topic of our choice. I chose the benefits of joining a pre professional organization like the Public Relations Student Society of America. The ONU PRSSA Chapter provides professional development, guidance and personal opportunities to excel in the public relations field through networking events, national conference opportunities, a strong alumni base and weekly meetings featuring speakers and workshops.

National conference is a networking event for students and professionals to expand their public relations knowledge. This year, national conference, Rethink, Rebuild, Renew, will be held in Atlanta, Georgia from November 6-10. Tiffany and I had the opportunity to sit down with Hannah Peterson to ask her about her experience at last year’s national conference. Hannah is a senior public relations major, communication studies and social media minor at Ohio Northern University. Hannah is currently serving her second term as Chapter president of ONU PRSSA.

Did you find any benefits from attending national conference?
Well, Alexa Lammers actually talked with someone at national conference about an internship and that is how she got her internship at Warner Brothers. I think that it is also just a great way for our chapter to bring some really great, new ideas to help us continue to grow and improve. I think national conference is a really great time to get away from school and have some fun with your PR friends or whoever else decides to go. It’s really just a great time to improve your PR skills in general.  

PRSSA strives to enhance your career, broaden your network and launch your career. PRSSA gives students the opportunity to gain leadership experience through an executive board composed of eight leaders: president, vice president, secretary, firm director, firm assistant, fundraising chair, social media and PRestige editor. Hannah expanded on her duties as president and what being president of ONU PRSSA has done for her, professionally and personally.

From your leadership experience in PRSSA what benefits have you seen in yourself?
I’m definitely not as shy as I used to be. I didn’t really picture myself in a leadership role like this but I feel like I’ve really grown as a person and became stronger. I’ve definitely been more focused on my work, so I think just being in this leadership positon has really helped me see what PRSSA is all about and really help me learn more about myself and my leadership abilities.

Would you recommend individuals in PRSSA to get involved in leadership roles?
Yes, I definitely think if someone is interested in being in a leadership role that they try as long as they’re willing to put in the work because it is sometimes difficult. If people aren’t willing to put in the work but they try to get themselves in that leadership role it just kind of makes it difficult on the rest of the group.

What is the biggest reward you have gotten out of being president of ONU PRSSA?
I really love seeing our chapter grow and develop. Applying for Star Chapter award is so fulfilling to me when we go to national conference and receive star chapter. Star chapter shows that our chapter is working really hard to accomplish everything we put ourselves up to do. I love when people are succeeding as a group, as our entire chapter but also individually. When people are succeeding in public relations and going to conferences, presenting and stuff like that, it is really rewarding to me because I can see that they are gaining really great experiences through PRSSA that are helping them in other areas as well.

If you want to hear the full podcast, check it out here. To learn more about Ohio Northern’s Public Relations Student Society of America, join us at our weekly meetings. ONU PRSSA meets every Thursday at 7 p.m. in PAC 132. We would love to see you there! 

1 comment:

  1. Allie,

    I listened to your podcast for PRSSA and it was really good. Being a broadcasting major and someone who has dealt with that kind of thing, you sounded really natural and clean and thats great. I also enjoyed the way you organized your questions and in the order you asked them. It had a really nice progressive flow (pun intended) to it. Anyways, I thought that you had a really nice podcast and I really did take the time to listen to it this weekend as I was bedridden and drugged up. Nice post Al.

    ReplyDelete